As an example, for a structure charged with dead loads and live loads, we will create an elastic linear support under the bottom beam.
- Launch the elastic linear support creation command from the Modeling toolbar.
- Define the linear elastic support stiffeners in the properties window. The stiffeners can be defined in relation to the global system or by the linear support local axes.
If the elastic support stiffeners are defined in relation to the global coordinate system, you must consider the following:
- To block the beam's horizontal transitions, the KTX and KTY stiffeners must have an infinite value.
- The KTZ stiffener corresponding to the global Z-axis represents the foundation ground deformability.
- The KRX and KRZ rotation stiffeners must also have an infinite value, to avoid the beam free rotation around the global Z-axis.
- The KRY rotation stiffener corresponding to the global Y-axis must be null in order to allow the free bending of the beam.
- After the finite element analysis you will obtain moment diagrams similar to the ones in the following pictures.