Autodesk Advance Steel Stairs and Railings
With its advanced feature set, Autodesk Advance Steel supports the design of complex structures such as straight and spiral stairs, railings, cage ladders, etc. Autodesk Advance Steel creates all necessary documents (including NC files) for the stair fabrication using a user selected template.
Stairs - Quick and easy
Once the user selects 2 points, the stair with its stringer and treads (including connection to the stringer) is created.
The tread distances are calculated using a standard formula for determining the ergonomic height and length of the step.
The stair can be modified using:
- Numerous profile types for stringers (I, U, Flat, Tubes, User profile)
- Various connection types between the treads and the stringers (directly welded or bolted, with a welded or bolted angle)
- Lower and upper landing (with plate or grate cover)
Any tread type can be created with Autodesk Advance Steel.
- A large library of tread types is available (folded plate, grate, wood, etc.)
- You can also define your own tread type that can be stored in the library for future use
- Optionally, different top and bottom treads can be defined
Creation of railings on the stair stringers is also simple!
Once the stringers (horizontal or sloped) are selected, the railings are created using the user defined start and end points.
Railings of any type can then be modified. Features include:
- Several profile types for posts, handrail (top and middle) and kickrail (I, U, Flat, Tubes, User Profile, etc)
- Controlled positioning of posts, top handrail, middle handrail and kickrail: side or top of the stringer
- Connection between posts and handrail: cuts, welds, chamfers, etc
- Connection between posts and stringers: welds, bolted or welded plate
- Vertical filling of intermediate bars can be added
- Preferred settings can be stored in the library
In addition, you can create a railing on different beams!
A spiral stair can be created in 4 steps: position selection in the structure, central post definition (circular or square tube), setting of treads' geometric properties (folded plates, welded plates, wood treads, etc.), establishing tread-central post and post-handrail connections and railings.
- A large library of tread types (folded plate, grate, wood, etc.), same as for the straight stair
- Treads can be welded to the central post or connected by a profile or a bolted plate
- The outer edge of the treads can be straight or can follow the stringer shape
- Stairs with no central post, where a flat central stringer supports the treads
All elements of a cage ladder are inserted by two points defining the height. The number of rungs can be defined or calculated according to the distance between the rungs. The user can modify then the shape and the size of the elements.
- Various sections library for the rungs and stringers
- Different options for the wall connection: folded plates, plates, sections
- Several cage types with different brace shapes and bands displacement
- Several ladder exit types
Easy to customize
Stairs and railings can be customized through the Properties dialog box.
The tabs of the Properties dialog box are grouped in logical categories to simplify the use of this powerful feature.
The user can modify the parameters (dimensions, treads types, connection types, etc.) to get the required structure. All modifications are visible in the model as they happen.
The entire structure can be stored in the library for future projects.
Autodesk Advance Steel is based on the AutoCAD® platform, hence tools such as 3D orbit and the various shade modes can be applied for a more realistic display.
In addition, the Render function from AutoCAD® can be used to assign a specific material to your structure (e.g., bricks on the wall) as shown in the picture:
Autodesk Advance Steel offers many templates for stairs & railings workshop drawings.
Once the stair is modeled, the user may select a template for the workshop drawing. Autodesk Advance Steel then creates all the necessary documents (including NC files) for the stair fabrication. The drawings are automatically labeled and dimensioned. The user can customize the drawing layout using the Drawing Style Manager.
Stairs presentation movies
Create a railing on a beam and connect it with outer tubes
This movie shows how easy it is to automatically create a railing on a beam and to connect it with outer tubes to this supporting beam with Advance Steel.Stairs and railings automatic creation
Spiral stairs macro
Advance Steel 2012 provides new options in the powerful macro which helps users to easily create spiral stairs (with twisted stringers and railings, central column, treads etc.)Creating a switch back stair with Advance Steel in few minutes
This movie demonstrates how to create switch back stair in few minutes thanks to the automatic stairs and railing available in Advance Steel 3D BIM steel detailing software
Stairs and Railings references
- Zagaican - Birou Structuri SRL | Steel stairs for Transilvania Bank | Autodesk Advance Steel
- Zagaican - Birou Structuri SRL | Steel stairs for residential building | Autodesk Advance Steel
Stairs and Railings VRML presentations
Steel stair with wood treads
Steel stairs for residential building
Download CIS/2 sample : Steel stairs for residential building
External steel stairs for Transilvania Bank
Zagaican - Birou structuri
Download CIS/2 sample : External steel stairs for Transilvania Bank, Zagaican - Birou structuri