Welcome to the first issue of the GRAITEC ADVANCE DESIGN newsletter.
We are pleased to send you new information about our range of products through frequent e-newsletters.
In this issue, we cover:
Advance Design Key features
Advance Design® is the result of GRAITEC’s 20 years of experience in structural analysis. Advance Design® is aimed at structural engineers who require a professional and easy-to-use solution for simulating and optimizing all their projects. Advance Design® includes a user-friendly structural modeler, an automatic load and combination generator, a powerful FEM analysis engine (static, dynamic, time history, non linear, buckling, large displacement analysis, etc.), comprehensive wizards for designing concrete and steel members according to Eurocodes, efficient result post-processing and automatic report generators.
Advance Design® automatically updates all reports, including graphical results, when modifications are made to the model.
3D model in Advance Design
Shanghai 2010 French exposition center
Shanghai 2010 French exposition center
Ilot Gruner - Business center
Key features of the software:
Powerful modeling system dedicated to engineers
- 2D/3D modeling with realistic rendering (transparencies, symbols and user-definable notes, display modes, etc.)
- Floors management for buildings
- Complete library of user-defined structural elements (linear and planar elements, rigid or elastic supports, semi rigid connections)
- Load generators (climatic loads, seismic spectrums, time history analysis etc.)
Advanced analysis features
- Automatic mesh generator: global or local mesh size, refinement, progressive meshing
- Static, dynamic, non linear analysis, large displacements, etc.
- Time history analysis with results post-processing along a given period of time
- Automatic calculation of concrete and steel elements according to the latest versions of the Eurocodes (EC1, EC2, EC3, EC8 etc.)
- Automatic update of documents and results post-processing scripts
- Deflection checking
- Automatic calculation of buckling and lateral torsional buckling lengths
- Element checking and optimization according to a wide range of libraries
- Connection calculation and automatic drawings (fixed connections, base plates, angle connections, splices)
Reinforced concrete design
- Beams, plates and shell elements
- 3D interactive curves to check column stability
- Design templates for assigning common properties for optimal efficient modeling
- Possibility to import an architect file (DXF, DWG, Revit through GTC technology)
- BIM approach for import, export and data synchronization between CAD/analysis systems
- Interoperability with industry standard software: SDNF, CIS/2, IFC, etc.
- Automatic creation of formwork drawings through Advance Concrete
- Smart DYNamic formwork technology with export to Advance Concrete (GRAITEC unique technology)
Click here to download the comprehensive Advance Design brochure
Part of new features delivered in Advance Design 2010 and SPs
Advance Design has been compliant with the Eurocodes (EC1, EC2, EC3) since the 2009 release. By the end of 2009, GRAITEC released Advance Design 2010 including updates to the already implemented EC1-EC2-EC3 and also providing EC8 for seismical analysis and new features in the 3D climatic generator to generate the wind effects on outdoor panels and trusses automatically.
Following on from this new release, 3 service packs have been delivered, since the beginning of 2010, providing several new features.
GRAITEC BIM Technology
The GRAITEC BIM Technology was updated to include compound sections when exchanging files between Advance Design and Advance Steel.
Other small improvements in this area:
- The load cases number is written in the BIM file, together with the name and the nature of the load case.
- The BIM export saves the load combinations.
- Additional checks in cross sections properties => it is impossible to import cross sections with one or more null dimensions without redefining the missing properties.
UK appendix for EC2 and EC3 design
SP3 has the UK national appendix for concrete and steel design. These settings are available in the “File \ Configuration” dialog box.
Finite elements calculation
There is an improvement in the allocation of memory for models, with a significant number of loads. This new feature significantly decreases the time needed to handle large models especially for companies using the 64-bit version of Advance Design.
Several new features and optimizations in the postprocessing step
Since the 2009 release, Advance Design is available for 64-bit operating systems. This was an important step in satisfying the requests of customers who want to handle ever more complete and complex 3D models.
The 2010 version, in particular SP2, has several improvements in the post-processing stage in order to speed up the result post-processing on large models and it provides even more possibilities:
- The size of the databases during the launch of several successive analyses was optimized.
- The automatic calculation of damping has been improved.
- The section torsion is verified according to Clause 6.2.7 of EN 1993-1-1.
- The shape sheet provides more information about the cross section bending.
- It is possible to run an automatic optimization of tubular cross sections.
- New table in the calculation report to post-process the position of the centers of masses and inertia for each floor of the building.
These new features are also enhanced by new options in the report generation:
- A new tab, “Other documents”, was added to allow the insertion of external documents (for example, connection report created using Advance Steel).
- When defining parametric results tables, it is possible to display a column which contains the name of the load cases.
Tip of the month
How are the mass and rigidity center coordinates automatically obtained for each level of a structure?
As an example, we will consider a structure with a different wall distribution for each story.
The mass center and rigidity center coordinates will be measured in the global coordinate system. For better detection of the coordinates, the structure is positioned so that one of the corner elements is placed at the global coordinate system origin.
- In order to obtain the mass center and rigidity center coordinates for each level, you must group the structural elements in systems so that all the elements of a certain level belong to a single system.
In the Pilot, create separate systems for each level of the structure and then place the structural elements in the system corresponding to their level.
Enable the "Level" option in the properties window of each level system. Specify the top and the bottom limit of the level for each story ("Ztop" and Zbottom") and the position number of the level inside the structure (in the "Number" field).
- The structure in this example is loaded with dead loads, live loads and seismic loads along X and Y.
- After running the finite elements analysis you can generate a report containing the mass center and rigidity center coordinates for each level. Perform the following steps:
- Access the Documents > Generate a new report command.
- In the "Report Generator" dialog box, access the Table tab and select Table > Finite Elements Analysis > Results > Modal analysis > Level mass and rigidity centers.
- Click the " <<" button to add the selected table in the current report.
- Click "Generate" to create the document containing the selected table.
|Level mass and rigidity centers
Project of the month
Centre Georges Pompidou, Metz
Design Office: CTE
Inaugurated in May 2010, the Centre Pompidou-Metz aims to represent all forms of artistic expressions and to offer a reflection of contemporary creation.
The structure of this project consists of several concrete parts: 3 superposed exhibition galleries of 86m length, 15m width and 8m height supported by slanted concrete columns, a building with 7 levels, a studio and a circular shaped restaurant and a hexagonal tower with a steel cover rising to 77m height and a concrete/steel front.
Project main challenges:
Advance Design solution:
- The initial structural concept of the project was changed into a more rigid and monolithic structure for the exhibition galleries which are supporting a timber roof through hinged supports instead of fixed ones.
- Interactivity management of the different structural parts especially mixing the concrete- steel-timber design
Main benefits for the user:
- A 3D accurate model was created with Advance Design in order to calculate the structural distribution of loads and internal forces.
- Advance Design allowed us to take into account the construction steps in the structural analysis and design.
- Increase in productivity and drawing quality
- Improved project collaboration
"The Centre Pompidou-Metz has been an important challenge in terms of structural analysis for our engineer’s staff which called upon all their skills. Today, this project became one of the most exceptional references for our Design office alongside other ones such as the Grenoble Stadium located in a seismic area, the Strasbourg Hospital (108m long building without any dilatation joint), etc."
Mr. Thierry HUMMEL - CTE Design Office
Focus on the forum
From the GRAITEC Advantage web site, all customers can access a new online forum dedicated to Advance Design, which is available in French and English . The objective of this forum is to create an “active community” of GRAITEC product users who can easily share their experience.
The Forum is divided into several categories according to the topic:
- Loads (automatic generators, combination system)
- FEM Analysis and FEM Results
- Concrete and Steel Design
- Tips & Tricks
In parallel to this forum, all customers under maintenance contract can access the FAQs on the GRAITEC Advantages web site: currently, there are more than 40 FAQs in English and in French.
GRAITEC Advantage is available to all GRAITEC customers along with a brand new online forum!
We would encourage all our users to make the most of GRAITEC online services to network with other users. Contact GRAITEC technical team to send us your ideas for future development and feedback on our software!
GRAITEC Advantage Online
Delivered any great projects lately?
Take advantage of our free marketing services and get your Advance Design projects published online in our reference section or included in our worldwide corporate and product brochures for free. Or contact us to create a detailed “case study” for a more focused marketing opportunity - this is also free!
Click here to discover several Advance Design projects
|Automatic drawing creation and fabrication files for steel construction in AutoCAD®
||Automatic formwork and reinforcement drawing creation in AutoCAD®
||Finite elements structural analysis and Steel / Concrete design with automatic reports