How are the results at the foundation level displayed?
Question:How are the results at the foundation level displayed?
1. Reactions will be determined for continuous footings under walls. The loads from the walls, in this example, are determined by the imposed linear load of 100kN/ml.
2. The supports can be declared with any of the available options for the linear supports:
- Elastic linear support;
- Linear T/C support (tension/compression).
For this example, the elastic linear support was used for taking in consideration the ground's characteristics. This can be done in the supports properties by editing the stiffness for the vertical direction.
Note that in this case (continuous footings) the program works with linear elements (beams) and it does not take into consideration the actual area of the foundation in contact with the ground. So the final efforts must be distributed to the foundation's area or the stiffness of the linear supports must be corrected before analyzing.
3. After setting the mesh size, the model can be analyzed by clicking the "Analyze" button in the "Pilot" window and choosing "FE calculation" from the "Calculation sequence" window.
4. After the structure is analyzed, the reactions will be generated. In the current example the displacements and the reactions of the foundations will be generated using vector representation.
This is possible from the "Results" window and is accessed from "Result settings" button on the "F.E. Results" toolbar.
On the "F.E." tab perform the following steps: from the drop-down list select "Forces" - "Linear support", activate the "FZ" checkbox, and from the drop-down list under "Display mode" select "Vectors".
To display values in the drawing at every vector, on the "Options" tab select "Value on diagrams".
5. To display the node displacements, the same steps as for the "Forces" are performed. From the "F.E. Results" toolbar select "Result settings" - "F.E.". From the drop-down list select "Displacements", activate the "DZ" checkbox and from the drop-down list under "Display mode" select "Vectors".
6. All the results can be shown in a table. On the "Documents" tab select "Generate the last report" and the "Report generator" window opens.
Select the "Table" tab and expand "Finite Element Analysis". For the final results perform the next steps:
Results - Displacements - Supports - Point supports - Displacements of point supports by load case
Add the desired results in the final table by clicking the double arrows indicating the left direction.
Repeat the same steps for adding the results for reactions:
Results - Forces - Supports - Point supports - Point support actions by load case
The table can be personalized by selecting the root of the table (Standard report) and clicking the "Table properties" button. Here, the name of the table, the size, table template, the program viewer and extension can be modified.
The results can be shown for certain load cases, this is done by clicking the "Case/Combinations" button and the window will be opened with the declared load cases and combinations.
After all of the desired options are selected click the "Generate" button from the "Report Generator" window. The preview of the table is opened with the selected program.