How can Virtual memory allocation be extended to 3 Gigabytes on a 32 bit operating system?
Software:Autodesk Advance Steel
Question:How can Virtual memory allocation be extended to 3 Gigabytes on a 32 bit operating system?
Computers that run on a 32-bit Windows platform are limited to use 2 gigabytes of virtual memory. This limitation can be reached by Advance programs (Advance Steel, Advance Design and Advance Concrete) when using a very large model that uses a large amount of memory. This can be avoided by extending the virtual memory of the operating system to a maximum of 3 gigabytes. The initialization file, "Boot.ini", that windows uses when booting must be modified with a new line containing the parameter /3GB in the "OS Load Option" sector.
Perform the following steps:
1. From the Windows start menu, select "Run".
2. Type "cmd" and click OK. This will display the Command Prompt dialog box.
3. First, make a copy of the original line.
The name between the brackets is only informative.
4. Next, add the 3GB parameter to the new line.
Command: bootcfg /raw "/noexecute=optin /fastdetect /3GB" /id 2
5. Set the new line as the default.
Command: bootcfg /default /id 2
6. You can verify the modifications by running the command: bootcfg
The results should look like :
This modification is available only on systems that run 32-bit Windows.
Warning : Any modifications to boot.ini that are not correct or according to this FAQ may cause problems with the operating system and prevent Windows from loading.