Autodesk Advance Steel
Autodesk Advance Steel is specifically designed for structural engineers and steel detailers who require professional and easy-to-use BIM structural steel detailing software that automates the production of drawings, BOMs and NC files. Autodesk Advance Steel drastically increases productivity and drawing quality, while reducing the risk of errors.
Autodesk Advance Steel is part of the GRAITEC structural BIM solution.
- Customer projects samples
- Autodesk Advance Steel videos
- Autodesk Advance Steel Brochure
- Product content and packages
- System requirement and Installation
- Pre-Sale Autodesk Advance Steel FAQ’s
- Exchange Formats Overview
- What's new in Autodesk Advance Steel 2014 release
- Autodesk Advance Steel offline FAQ archive
100% dedicated to steel construction
Autodesk Advance Steel accelerates the design phase (single or multi-user mode) by offering an extensive library of smart objects, automatic joints and specific tools for creating standard structures, stairs, railing and miscellaneous steelwork. .
Autodesk Advance Steel automatically generates all workshop and general arrangement drawings using intelligent tools to automatically control dimensions and labels as well as all required.
Autodesk Advance Steel is part of the GRAITEC structural BIM solution, automating the entire structural design process, from engineering design to detailing and fabrication.
Model courtesy of Bitschnau Stahl & Anlagenbau
Model courtesy from PKD (Czech Republic)
Model courtesy from STRUBAT Ingénierie (France)
All the tools are provided for fast and efficient modeling. Creating a precise model is important since Autodesk Advance Steel will subsequently create all project documents (drawings, lists, NC files) from this model.
In the first step, Autodesk Advance Steel provides the user with a large library of structural elements and design functions such as:
- Common Industry Frames, Bracings, etc.
- Common Profiles
- Common Roofs
- Steelwork (stairs, railings, ladders, etc., including joints)
- Complex folded plates (e.g., conical or twisted)
- Welded, tapered and curved beams
- Plates management tools
Model courtesy from DANTU Drafting
Model courtesy from Ets J-C FASSLER (France)
Autodesk Advance Steel works in 2D or 3D depending on the user's preference and the type of structure being modeled. Autodesk Advance Steel supports all basic CAD concepts and functions (snap points, grip points, copy, etc.).
In the second step, Autodesk Advance Steel has libraries of customizable automatic joints (more than 300 joints), which increase the speed and efficiency of modeling connections.
Autodesk Advance Steel also offers the possibility to create specific custom connections using a wide range of tools:
- Polygonal cuts on plate and beam (cope, along centerline, polygonal, on the UCS, with an angle)
- Placement of bolts, holes and shear studs
- Welded connections
Model courtesy from SST-Ing.-Buro
The new Connection Vault has the following features:
- All connections in one place
- See connection previews with various possibilities
- Choose a connection and use it directly from the connection vault!
Autodesk Advance Steel assigns automatic part marks. Through dialog boxes, the user can define the numbering prefix, method, starting number and increment. Autodesk Advance Steel will then proceed to final checking: element collisions, tool access (buildability), and consistency of element marks (fabrication, delivery and assembly).
Knowledge Engineering: Autodesk Advance Steel integrates a new adaptive technology that automates and significantly accelerates joint creation. When creating a joint, Autodesk Advance Steel analyses its environment and recognizes if a similar situation has occurred in the past. The software then suggests the optimal joint in the desired category while taking into account its structural integrity. (*Only available for certain types of joints and standards.)
New Joint Design Engine
Autodesk Advance Steel can now automatically design common joints within the user interface. To create a joint the user specifies the efforts (kip) and Autodesk Advance Steel quickly designs the joint. The correct type and quantity of bolts, plate thickness, etc., are automatically inserted in the model and a full design report is created!
Click above for a streaming video
on Autodesk Advance Steel
Learn more about connection design according to Eurocodes 3 in Autodesk Advance Steel...
Sheet and plate metal work
Advance Steel is the only CAD software for steel structures that easily models sheet metal work. It only takes two clicks to create an element, for example, a conical shape from two CAD entities (circle, square, etc.) or between two profiles with different diameters.
The drawings for these shapes are automatically obtained along with their unfolded representation.
Model courtesy from PlanungsburoHeuer (Germany)
Model courtesy from Solespam (France)
With the “Model Share” technology, Autodesk Advance Steel users can work in a real multi-user mode to accelerate projects.
Autodesk Advance Steel offers unrivalled, flexible and secure multi-user functionality offering:
- Speed improvements to model a big project (multiple users working on the same DWG file)
- Display performances (tools to display only selected elements)
- Flexibility (joints can be created between elements modeled by different users)
- Security (an element being used by one person cannot be modified by another)
- Information (real-time information of model changes)
The multi-user functionality is part of the Autodesk Advance Steel Premium package.
Automated drawing creation
Once the design is completed, Autodesk Advance Steel offers a wide range of automated functions to create all the fabrication and general arrangement drawings. A large range of formats (e.g. A4 to A0) and different page layout templates are available. Each detailed drawing is created as an individual DWG file. The details are automatically labeled and dimensioned. The drawing layout may be customized with specific requirements using the Drawing Style Manager.
Model courtesy from DANTU Drafting (South Africa)
General Arrangement drawings
- Automated creation of an isometric view from the project, with many different label possibilities.
- 2D drawings, such as elevation, anchor or roof plans are automatically labeled and dimensioned.
- Function for automated view creation on the drawing for special situations such as a complex detail or a base point with the foundation.
- Flexibility in the choice of the presentation rules for the details.
|Model courtesy from Konstruktoriu
|Model courtesy from Marshall Stairs
|Model courtesy from Heurtey Petrochem
|Automatic unfold of a spiral stairs tread|
- Creation of individual fabrication drawings for single and assembly parts
- Automated drawing creation by processes
- All parts automatically dimensioned and labeled with the required information
- Dimension lines can be presented as Relative, Running or Ordinate
- Function for part unfolding and tube templates
- Required cuts from the main view will be created automatically
The Final Touch
- Automated creation of a view when adding a cut line or other detail
- Ability to change scale, clipping and presentation within the drawing
- Additional dimension lines (e.g. Arc, Angle .) can be created and modified
- Quick additional label insertion by selecting the information directly from the model
Once the drawings are completed, bills of material (BOM), lists and NC files can be created. The user can select from different predefined or custom formats: content definition, insertion of logos, customizable sorting, etc.
Autodesk Advance Steel Document Manager is a user-friendly centralized time saving tool to check drawings, sort out details and print bills of materials.
Autodesk Advance Steel automatically creates revision clouds in drawings for modifications compared to the previous status of the drawing. This considerably helps users have better control on changed elements after an automatic update of the drawings with a revision number.
Manufacturing / Fabrication
GRAITEC is an active member of the DSTV standard association and our software creates NC code that is 100% compatible with most North American (and worldwide) machinery manufacturers. The following manufacturers have confirmed their full compliance to the DSTV standard and are cooperating with us to further streamline the design to fabrication process.
AceCad Software is a leading developer of software products for the construction industry, including BIM collaboration, design to construction project management, and dedicated structural steelwork fabrication. The partnership between GRAITEC and AceCad Software provides a bi-directional data exchange through which the two companies benefit of construction supply chains with streamlined workflows and advanced efficiencies across projects. The AceCad and GRAITEC combined and complimentary product suites enable true collaboration and integrated BIM data management, for increased productivity and reduced schedules.
Furthermore Autodesk Advance Steel uses the KISS format (“Keep It Simple, Steel”) to transfer data from the model and the bill of material to fabrication management software. Among other supported solutions, Advance Steel is certified by FABTROL.
Since the 7.1 version, Advance Steel is certified as Microsoft Client and MS Office compliant. The testing defined by the Microsoft Platform Test for ISV Software Solutions was conducted by VeriTest, a testing service of Lionbridge Technologies.
100% AutoCAD® compliant
Autodesk Advance Steel provides users with professional objects such as beams, columns, bolts, etc. When running on AutoCAD®, Autodesk Advance Steel uses Autodesk Object ARX to its fullest potential. This technology allows Autodesk Advance Steel to run perfectly into AutoCAD® on which most standard functions can be applied (copy, paste, extend, trim, stretch, etc.). The native file format of Advance suites is a 100% Autodesk compliant DWG file.
GRAITEC is an ADN (Autodesk Application Developer) since 1997 and a UAR (Unique Application Reseller) since 2001.
BIM technology : GRAITEC software interoperability and integration
All Graitec programs can now easily communicate with the new BIM format, that allows the exchange of models between applications and also the models synchronization, with no data loss and no need to re-input data!
Products carrying this logo are not necessarily Autodesk products and as such are not warranted by Autodesk. Autodesk, the Autodesk logo, AutoCAD and Autodesk Architectural Desktop are registered trademarks of Autodesk, Inc.